Wednesday, September 17, 2008

introduction

Hello! My name's Kat and I currently attend Sheridan college. I'm in my fourth and final year of a BA in animation, and this year is the big one. Every student has to be the proud owner of their own short film by April. Well, proud is the aim, at least.

To go with the developmental stages of my film, I thought it would be a good idea to keep a blog. To start with, I will most likely just be posting concept art and storyboards, with some model sheets and layouts further down the line. I may also put up some pencil tests when I get to that stage, and then way off in the distance, I'll be posting my finished film.

The story itself focuses on two characters, the owl and the lion. It will be narrated, and I hope to keep it to about two minutes.

Here's my initial pass at a script for the narrator, to give you an idea of the story:

Once upon a time, there was a lion and an owl. The lion and owl were good friends, and visited each other often.
During one such visit, there was a terrible storm, which knocked down many trees. Upon returning to his home, the owl discovered everything had been blown away. Upset, he flew back to his friend, and related his tale of woe. Moved by the owl's troubles, the lion racked his brain for a new place for his little friend to live.
First, the lion went to ask the help of the squirrel, but they, too, had lost their home to the storm.
Undeterred, he next went to his friend the rabbit. But the rabbit regretfully explained she had a new litter of kits, and there was just not enough room.

Anxious now, the lion sought out the elk. Apologetic, the elk explained that he was soon leaving to take part in the great migration, and would be travelling far away.
Nearing the point of giving up, the lion slumped down and began to rack his brains one last time. After a brief pause, an idea struck him, and a grin spread across his face. Leaning over, he scooped his friend up, placing the small owl on his head. Confused, the owl tilted his head in question. Lifting a paw, the lion patted the owl down into his fur, who, now understanding, smiled and snuggled down, wrapping his wings around the lion's neck. From that point onward, this is where the owl stayed, and thus, is how the lion came about aquiring his mane.

I hope to end up translating all that into an appealing, simple style, with fun and unique characters.

And that's pretty much it! I encourage and welcome constructive criticism, as I want to be that proud owner when April rolls around.

No comments: